Mighty Mushroom Meatloaf Recipe
Ingredients & Directions:
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Roasted red pepper pesto or spread (optional for serving)
- 1/2 Cup Mighty Cricket Protein Powder (Unflavored)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable stock (optional)
- 1 cup walnuts (raw, unsalted)
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw, unsalted)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 ounces baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
- 1 tsp dried sage or 1 Tbs fresh, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 12 ounces Swiss cheese, grated (Gouda or white cheddar cheese also work well)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Prepare 1/2 cup dry brown rice according to packaging (we like to use vegetable stock in place of water for more flavor).
3. Place nuts on baking sheet and toast in oven for 8 minutes until golden brown.
4. Remove and let cool.
5. In a skillet, heat 2 Tbs olive oil over medium. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, mushrooms, parsley, marjoram, thyme, and sage.
6. Cook about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden.
7. Remove from heat.
8. In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Finely chop nuts with a knife or food processor and add to eggs.
9. Add mushroom mixture and remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.
10. Line 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Spoon mixture into pan and bake for 1 hour.
11. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes.
12. Invert loaf and serve with roasted red pepper pesto or spread.
13. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers (they taste amazing leftover both refrigerated and frozen). Can be reheated in microwave or stovetop/oven to get a little bit of exterior crust.
The Inspiration and Notes for Mighty Mushroom Meatloaf Recipe:
I made this recipe for the first time for my family for Christmas dinner. I had no idea how it would turn out, but I need a dish that would appeal to both meat-lovers and entovegetarians (vegetarians that eat bugs). I was incredibly pleased to discover that everyone loved the meatloaf! The meat-lovers were satisfied with its heartiness, and the entovegetarians appreciated the environmentally-friendly aspects of the dish.
The cool thing about this recipe is that it tastes even better as leftovers! (I have to make twice the amount so I actually have leftovers). The flavors meld together and the nuts soften to the point where they have a meaty texture. I pop a frozen slice of Mighty Mushroom Meatloaf straight from the freezer into a heated frying pan to give it a nice crispy crust. If you like smoky flavors, I recommend using smoked Gouda cheese in place of Swiss cheese. Yum!
This recipe is a modified version of: https://www.acouplecooks.com/vegetarian-meatloaf/
About the Creator
Sarah Schlafly is the founder of Mighty Cricket. Her passion lies in making healthy meals delicious, convenient, sustainable, and affordable. She is eager to chat about food with you and connect on LinkedIn.
Get Clean Protein in Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes, deals, and updates