High Protein Mac and Cheese Recipe
4 (¼ cup per se
Prep ~ 10 min, Cook ~1hr
Ingredients & Directions:
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 Cup Mighty Cricket Protein Powder
- 6 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar divided
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Shred the cheeses, keeping some cheddar off to the side for the topping.
3. Cook the pasta al dente. Rinse and let cool.
4. Add the butter to a large stockpot and melt on medium-low heat.
5. Add the flour, mustard, cayenne, paprika, and cricket powder and stir together until fully combined.
6. Add the milk slowly while stirring.
7. Add in the salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat.
9. Remove 1 cup of the milk mixture and let cool in the fridge. Add the egg to the cooled milk and whisk it well until fully combined.
10. Turn the heat on the pot back on to medium-low.
11. Slowly pour the egg and milk mixture into the rest of the milk while stirring
12. Add in the Monterey jack, mozzarella and 1 cup of the sharp cheddar and stir.
13. Add the cooled macaroni back into the pot and toss with the cheese sauce.
14. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish and top with the remaining 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
15. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered
Notes for Mac N’ Cheese:
How will YOU personalize your Mac N’ Cheese and make it even MIGHTIER?
Top with Parmesan cheese? Crumble some bread crumbs? Mix in some greens like broccoli? Lot’s of ways to be creative here for sure!
About the Creator
Sarah Schlafly is the slightly spritely co-founder of the fabulous company, Mighty Cricket! She is ALWAYS tinkering around in the kitchen and conjuring new and creative ways to integrate cricket powder into surprisingly delightful new recipes for you to try out yourself!
Get Clean Protein in Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes, deals, and updates