High Protein Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep 10 min, Cook 1hr
Ingredients & Directions:
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons powdered mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup Mighty Cricket Protein Powder
- 6 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces Monterey jack cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar divided
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Shred the cheeses, keeping some cheddar off to the side for the topping.
3. Cook the pasta al dente. Rinse and let cool.
4. Add the butter to a large stockpot and melt on medium-low heat.
5. Add the flour, mustard, cayenne, paprika, and cricket powder and stir together until fully combined.
6. Add the milk slowly while stirring.
7. Add in the salt and pepper and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
8. Turn off the heat.
9. Remove 1 cup of the milk mixture and let cool in the fridge. Add the egg to the cooled milk and whisk it well until fully combined.
10. Turn the heat on the pot back on to medium-low.
11. Slowly pour the egg and milk mixture into the rest of the milk while stirring
12. Add in the Monterey jack, mozzarella and 1 cup of the sharp cheddar and stir.
13. Add the cooled macaroni back into the pot and toss with the cheese sauce.
14. Pour into a 9×13 baking dish and top with the remaining 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
15. Bake for 30 minutes, uncovered
Notes for High Protein Mac and Cheese Recipe:
Using this recipe as a base, there are a variety of ways you can make this recipe even MIGHTIER! Consider mixing in small broccoli florets, peas, small diced carrots, minced onions, a handful of chopped spinach, or julienned fresh basil leaves. Or go even healthier and replace the butter/flour/milk mixture with pureed cauliflower, then cut down on the cheese.
Cooking for a variety of picky eaters? Mix your additions into only half of the baking dish, or divide the recipe into two smaller baking dishes to accommodate the family.
About the Creator
Sarah Schlafly is the founder of Mighty Cricket. Her passion lies in making healthy meals delicious, convenient, sustainable, and affordable. She is eager to chat about food with you and connect on LinkedIn.
Get Clean Protein in Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes, deals, and updates