Warm and Hearty Cricket Chili Recipe
Prep ~20 min, Cook ~40
Ingredients & Directions:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (15.5-oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-oz) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup Mighty Cricket Protein Powder (Unflavored)
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Classic garnish: Shredded cheddar, sour cream, cilantro
- Southwestern garnish: Lime wedges, baked tortilla strips, cilantro
1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil then add onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook until fragrant.
2. Add tomato paste and stir to coat vegetables. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, and seasonings + cricket powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Garnish and serve.
Notes for Warm and Hearty Cricket Chili Recipe:
This hearty cricket chili recipe packs meaty flavor without the beef (and saturated fat)! I made this chili for a neighborhood chili cook-off. While it didn’t win first place, it received a number of votes and turned several neighbors into cricket protein powder fans. What better prize could I ask for than that? Use this Cricket Chili Recipe at your own gatherings to educate people on entomophagy (the practice of eating bugs) and help build our clean protein movement.
About the Creator
Sarah Schlafly is the founder of Mighty Cricket. Her passion lies in making healthy meals delicious, convenient, sustainable, and affordable. She is eager to chat about food with you and connect on LinkedIn.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy:
Get Clean Protein in Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes, deals, and updates