Buckwheat Chirp Crackers
4 (1/2 cup per serving)
~ 30 min
Appetizers, Snacks, Lunch
Ingredients & Directions:
- 7 Mighty Cricket Protein Powder (Unflavored)
- 2.5 cups + 2.5 teaspoons teaspoons of buckwheat flour
- 2.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt or your favorite seasoning blend (optional)
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl or mixer and stir until a crumbly batter is formed (about 3 minutes).
2. Form a large ball and place on a clean surface to knead into a dough. The dough should be soft and resemble regular dough texture after you are finished.
3. Divide the dough into half, then each half into another half, and so on. Make even size balls with your hands. There will either be around 16-18 small balls, or 10 large ones.
4. If using a tortilla press, gently press each ball into a flat tortilla. If using a rolling pin, gently squish with fingers each ball into a flat circle then roll as thin as possible. Carefully remove each tortilla.
5. Place each tortilla on a preheated frying pan and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side.
6. Continue cooking until they dry out and have a tortilla chip-like consistency. (Alternatively, you may place the tortillas on a sheet pan and continue drying in the oven.)
7. Store in an air tight container and enjoy within 1-2 days for optimal freshness.
The Inspiration for Buckwheat Chirp Crackers:
Recipe inspired by: Anna Gevorkyan’s Buckwheat Tortilla Recipe on Food52.com
- If using an electric mixer, use the flat attachment rather than the dough hook.
- Lightly flour the surface if the dough is sticky.
- Lower the temperature to medium heat if you see the pan is too hot.
About the Creator
Jolee Keplinger is an eco-conscious cooking enthusiast. She loves experimenting with new ingredients to create delicious, healthy recipes.
Get Clean Protein in Your Inbox
Subscribe for recipes, deals, and updates